Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kimi ni Todoke (Reaching You) Rant Time

At first, everytime I'd cross paths with this anime I'd dismiss it as a sappy romantic shoujo that I wouldn't really be interested in, because people kept using it for videos and talking about it and all of that. And I gave up on even trying. But then people I know and follow made some videos to it, incidently with songs from artists I love, and I was like: awww what the hell! Let's see it!  
Finally, my friend started watching and told me how fun it was. When asking opinions from other friends though some told me it was slow paced, others, too pure, there was even who told me it was sad.
I made some time appear from a bag and BAM I started on it. Due to some business I took a while to get into it, but I loved it from the first episode, and today I marathoned about 13 episodes, catching up with the week's episode.
First impressions on Sawako were...that she reminded me of Sunako from The Wallflower, but soon I realized that while Sunako is glad she's an outcast and like to be scary (well on the outside at least),  Sawako (or Sadako like she's "affectionatedly" called) is really an innocent and pure girl, to a surreal level actually. And it isn't just her, Kazehaya is too innocent (and cute) too. And Chizuru is just oblivious and dense. The most evil person might just be Yano Ayane.
But that is quite okay - this IS a light read/watch. And for the genre I think it's outstandingly well done, since it is one of those surreal love comedies in which the fluff and the funny parts are what matter.
The only character that I positively hate is Kurumi. First time I saw her, I knew imediatly she was a two-face girl. I can't stand that kind of personality and it really pissed me off that one episode about her. But I can live with it. 
A charater that confuses me though, would be Kent. I was really lookin foward to his appearence as I'm a big fan of his voice actor - Miyano Mamoru. But now that I seen him...I think he's just manipulative as well, in a way that makes me sick from sweetness (don't ask). I can't really say if he's a "god" guy or not, all I know is whenever I hear his tone I keep hoping for Kida Masaomi from Durarara!! to appear. I have this feeling that Kent acts too forcefully and looks...fake, which is saying quite alot for an animated character.
I really like most of the side characters though, Ayane, Chizuru, Ryuu, Pin. They all have their perks that make them funny, and the side-couples really amuse me too. 
About the main couple, aka the most important part of the anime, I actually like them. Usually I don't like the main couple for one reason or another, or they just don't mind much, but on this case I do like Kazehaya/Sawako. The fact that they're both so clueless? Dense? Bashful? Well, the fact they are them makes it all seem natural. Even though there's a possessive and jealous side to Kazehaya, which I'm afraid might annoy me soon (I haaate possessive people), so far so good though, since he's being possessive in the right amount. I won't deny that it's frustrating how slow-paced the story is and how sometimes I feel like raging, but I still think it's just good how it is.
This is definitly something I don't want to end. I don't feel the need to read the manga either, since it's a good animation! I just wished the side-couples would happen NOW. Then I wouldn't be so frustrated (: .
And everybody kept saying this week's cliffhanger was "of doom". I've seen worse. But I can't wait for more!

I guess that was a good resume. Time to go to bed now.
-Nessie

No comments:

Post a Comment